07 June 2011

Math Jobs 101 (Part 2)

So in my last post, I went over what criterion I was using to discard job ads I came across in my search. In this one, I'll cover what I have been doing.

Let's start with the word "analyst." Many of the jobs I've applied to over the past few weeks have involved this word in their titles. Examples:

  • Business Analyst
  • Data Analyst
  • Derivatives Analyst
  • Junior Analyst
  • Quantitative Analyst
  • Operations Finance Analyst
  • Analytic Science Consultant
The list goes on. These jobs have been in everything from marketing to finance to various tech companies. Speaking of, what industries am I interested in? Well, the two I have been focusing on (since there seems to be a lack of focus in job function) are technology/engineering and finance. These are still very broad categories but thankfully, many of the jobs requiring a mathematics degree are in these areas. Also, most of my experience has been in these areas (save for the one summer I did construction management work and the other one where I did math research).

It's been tough (and very discouraging) to find job advertisements which I really fit well. However, my approach has been to carpet-bomb the job boards and see what comes back. This isn't exactly endorsed by various career blogs but the analytical side of me says it's a game of chance and therefore by sheer volume of applications, someone is bound to interview and, hopefully, hire me. Even if it's 1:1000.

No comments:

Post a Comment