21 July 2011

Blogging to Fight Unemployment


Came across an interesting article today describing how blogging could potentially land you a job. Among other things:


  • Blogging four times a day on a specific subject
  • Contacting potential employers to interview for your blog
  • Building a network

Actually, I kind of started this blog for this exact reason: to be more visible on the web. However, I've been using it to make notes about my personal progress in my job hunt, posting pictures of ponies, and not much else. I think I'll work on narrowing the focus to a few topics:

  • Mathematics (obviously)
  • Math-related topics of interest (numerical computing, financial math, etc.)
  • Occasional entries on my other hobbies
  • Occasional entries on my job hunt

A cursory Google search reveals I have some tough competition already (Terence Tao, anyone?).

So, starting tomorrow, expect this blog to update a lot more regularly, link to interesting math-related content around the web, and not focus on my personal life but more on my interests. It will be a challenge. I'll have to make my posts a little longer (maybe I'll even start implementing "breaks!"), improve my writing style (read: make it more professional), and just put more work into it in general.

It could be a positive force. It could have a net zero effect on things other than being my own little corner of the web where I spill my thoughts. It could be terrible. No matter what it becomes, it will be a journey.

Won't you join me on it?

(h/t Lifehacker)

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog, Mr Doo. I really should get into the blogging-to-obtain-work thing. For now, I'm doing the usual, not-so-fruitful scouring of Indeed and craigslist on my off days (i.e., when I'm not passed out after work).

    ReplyDelete