14 July 2011

Ups and Downs [UPDATED: Spoke too soon!]

Didn't get the viagogo position. I've been searching for a job since...March? So far: countless applications, 5 interviews (2 for full time, 3 for temp), and 1 job offer. Yes, that's correct. I got a job. It's a barista position at a local Safeway paying slightly higher than minimum wage. Woohoo. At least now I have a measly income stream.

It's just frustrating that after 4.5 years of school, 4 fairly decent internships, and a very decent collection of academic experience, there's still nothing. That frustration is compounded by seeing most of my friends start their careers. I'm overqualified for McDonalds and (it seems) under qualified for everything else. I've pulled on every string, called on every connection I could think of, but no one has been that helpful. They're a good source for advice but I don't need advice right now. I need a job. Full time. Preferably using mathematics. Preferably in finance, government, or technology. Preferably NOT requiring a 3.0 GPA or strong programming skills. Is that so much to ask? I guess so.

I'll continue to push forward but the temptation to give up grows stronger by the week.

UPDATE:
I guess I spoke too soon. Got a call from a company I interviewed with a while back. Any guesses? Anyway, they are actively trying to create an Operations Research position for me with an opportunity to help their China business. I'll hear back next week hopefully.

1 comment:

  1. Have you looked into the pharmaceutical industry? Many companies look for folks with math/science backgrounds to work in data management on clinical trials.

    ReplyDelete